The techniques that we use to prepare your films ensure that we get the very best from your cine film transfer:
- BENCHCHECK - The first step that we take is to examine your films on a film rewind bench, we can then remake any existing splices that have come undone. The result is a transfer with no picture 'judder' and if you request it, we will remove any totally black or clear sections of film to give you a better viewing experience. We leave the white film leader on the front of each reel unless you request it to be removed before transfer. Films arriving with us that are backwards on their reels are correctly wound before transfer
- FILM CLEANING - Over time, static attracts dust and projection can sometimes damage film, causing dirt and scratches to appear on the film image as black spots and vertical black or coloured lines. Our liquid cleaning process eliminates most of the surface dust and also reduces the thickness of some black scratches by cleaning out the dirt within the scratch. The result is a clearer and cleaner image on DVD and is included within our prices.
- DIGITAL TRANSFER - We transfer digitally to the format you require with secondary image correction.
- ARCHIVAL DVD - We transfer your films onto Gold layer archival DVD's. These are manufactured with a gold reflective layer and have an estimated lifespan of over 100 years. These discs are the most reliable method of storing your precious cine films. If you require more DVD copies, you have the choice of having Archival Gold or standard disks. This can be found on our order form calculator.
- FUTURE CARE OF YOUR FILMS - Once we have transferred your films they are placed back on their original reels/boxes in new sealed plastic bags with Silica gel to keep moisture out. This will provide protection from the elements and help protect your films for future generations.
- VIDEOTAPE TO DVD TRANSFERS - Our services include transferring video to DVD and other media. Video formats we transfer include VHS, S-VHS, VHS(C), Video8, Hi 8, Digital 8, Mini DV, DVcam, Betacam, Betacam SP, Betamax, U Matic, BVU, DAT and Audio Cassette. All tapes are examined before transfer and we can repair damaged tapes to allow transfer to DVD. Click on our prices and ordering page for prices and order form.
Silent films, sound films and background music
If you have sound films, our transfer service will transfer both picture and ORIGINAL sound onto your DVD, Mini DV tape or Hard Drive and is INCLUDED within our transfer price.
Your completed DVD will contain a start menu with up to 4 navigation buttons and will be returned to you in a library cases with a printed sleeve insert including your choice of title printed onto the disk surface.
All orders are returned to you via Royal Mail special delivery, Parcel force or courier, collection in person is also welcomed.
Additional cine services
Our additional services include a full edit package with dubbed background music throughout including titles; we also offer the option to transfer to other formats. All options and prices can be found on our price calculator.
Editing your films at home - MiniDV tape, Hard drive or Flash memory drive
Most customers have editing software on their computers and films can be edited at home.
One way is to copy our DVD onto your computers hard drive then you can edit and rearrange scenes, add music, titles and finally burn your own edited DVD.
If you own a miniDV camcorder we can transfer your films to MiniDV tape.
By connecting your camcorder to your computer, you can play the MiniDV tape on your camcorder and record your cine onto your PC's hard drive for editing.
Another option we offer is to transfer your films onto a portable hard drive, flash drive or memory stick as computer files.
You then just connect the portable drive to your computer and edit your films. You can supply your own portable storage medium or alternatively we can supply it for you. You then connect the hard drive containing your cine files to your home computer and edit.
Extra DVD copies
Additional copies of your cine film transfers on DVD or MiniDV tape are available to buy from us, just tick the 'add extra copies' or 'add extra Gold Archival copies' box on the website calculator. For DVD copies from your videotapes, go to the 'Tape transfer on-line calculator'.
As we DO NOT add any anti-piracy software to your DVD's, you will be able to copy them if you have the equipment to do so.
Time manager service for cine
If your cine film reels are not labelled with places and dates it can be hard for you to decide the running order for your DVD. The TIME MANAGER SERVICE will help. All you need to do is send your unmarked films to us and we will send you back a draft DVD containing all your reels.
On the draft DVD, a numbered caption will appear between each new reel showing where the reels change. A simple form comes with the DVD for you to tell us the new running order for your films. From your information we will edit the reels into your preferred order and send you the final DVD. For this service just tick the 'time manager' box on the website calculator.
If you would like to include music on your final DVD just tick the 'add background music' box on the website calculator before sending your films.
If you want to rearrange the order of your films. PLUS remove any unwanted sections of your films and add captions then see our EDIT MANAGER SERVICE below.
Edit Manger service for cine
Sometimes film reel boxes are not labelled with place and dates and it can be hard for you to decide the running order and captions for your DVD.
You may also want some scenes removed completely and captions added.
The EDIT MANAGER SERVICE will help. All you need to do is send your unmarked films to us and we will send you back a draft DVD containing all your reels.
On the draft DVD a numbered caption will appear between each reel showing where the reels change. We also add a VISUAL TIMER in the picture so you can easily tell us which sections you would like removed or even moved to a different part of the programme. This service also includes the addition of captions at the beginning of each reel change should you require. For this service just tick the 'edit manager' box on the website calculator.
If you would like to include music on your final DVD just tick the 'add background music' box on the website calculator before sending your films
If you do not want to remove sections of your films or add captions but would just like to change the running order see out TIME MANAGER SERVICE shown above..
Captions options for cine
We can add captions that appear between your films on screen so you can easily identify special family events and memories. Captions can include dates, places and names and can be up to 75 characters long per screen.
If you would like to include captions between your films on screen just tick the 'add captions on your DVD' box on the website calculator and include the number of captions you require. Remember to include your written list of captions when you send us your films.
Music options for cine
If your cine camera did not record sound, we can add suitable background music that will play with your films on the DVD. Just tick the 'add background music' button on the website calculator.
We can transfer to and from most formats such as DVcam, Betacam SP, HD & HDV and we would be happy to give you an individual quotation. Our service also includes an option to transfer a BITC (burnt in time code) version to mini DV and computer files on portable hard drives. More information can be found on www.bluprint.co.uk where you will also find details of our production, editing and duplication services.